To provide an overview of advanced search techniques and specialist information resources to improve literature searching activities in your research area.
By the end of the course, you should be able to:
· source key UoN resources, subject databases andspecialist information within a discipline to employ a thorough literature search
· construct effective search strategies usingappropriate terminology and database functionality to facilitate retrieval of relevant literature
· use alerting services to keep up to date withresearch in a specific discipline
· employ critical skills to evaluate theauthority, reliability and validity of published literature
· navigate off-campus access routes to a range ofeResources
· appreciate the benefits of using andcontributing to open access resources
· identify relevant services which enable accessto resources beyond the University to extend research
· recognise the value of reference managementsoftware (RMS) to manage reading and enable effective and consistentreferencing
Teaching and Learning Support LibrariansNB: This course runs in Semester 1 only, if you would like to attend a Researcher Information Skills course please book onto the Researcher Information Skills for Science session.